Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Missing The Dusty Roads

The Long And Winding Type- My Favorite!
I've been riding a lot of single track in the Fall this year. I'm not going to complain about that one bit. It's been super weather here, for the most part, and the trails have been fantastic.

But just like when you eat too much of one thing, all one type of riding can get to be ......too much!  Like too much frosting, and not enough cake, if you will.

I'm missing the gravel roads. I'm missing the long, winding, up and down, peaceful gravel grinding we have here. Endless miles of it.

I know some of you live in the mountains, or in some really cool place like England, Scotland, or Europe. (I know because of my stat tracker widget) I know it must be really great to live where you do, and riding gravel roads probably sounds like about as much fun as flossing your teeth. Maybe you think Iowa is flat, boring, or worse- full of gnomes carrying pitchforks riding the backs of stinking pink piggies.......or something. 

I don't know, but I also know that I probably won't convince you that it is a stellar thing to do. But really, anything involving a bicycle can't be all that bad. Can it? Riding over that next hill, seeing something you wouldn't ordinarily see, and occasionally meeting a few really cool folks along the way, well that makes it totally worthwhile for me.  

Sitting- Waiting Patiently In The Wings
So anyway- I want to get out and put in a long gravel ride soon. I missed all of the Milltown Cycles rides, and for that I am truly sorry. I followed along and they looked like a ton of fun, but I had something in my way every weekend they had a ride on.

I even got the ol' Orange Crush all spruced up and ready to go. A new carbon fiber Bontrager fork and all, as yet untested on gravel. It is a crying shame too. Hopefully that won't be the case for too much longer and I'll get out there on the gravels before the snow flies. Even if it is only for a shorter ride. North of town where I live is pretty nice for gravel grinding. Maybe I can haul the rig down to Traer, which is another of my favorite jumping off points. But no matter- I gotta get some gravel ridin' in.

If that doesn't pan out, at least I get to see some gravel from the seat of "The Truck With No Name" that I will be using for Trans Iowa recon yet this Fall. That should be happening soon. I've got a solid two days of that yet in front of me. It isn't the same as riding a bike, but at least it is something close.

Not that I have not been enjoying the woods immensely, because I have, and I treasure that. I just need some balance  I guess, and I just plain miss the rural scenery.

3 comments:

shiggy said...

LOL! What a difference in what you and I consider winding!

It's all good.

Small Adventures said...

1) +2 on what Shiggy said,LOL!

2) I WISH we had some of those epic (would be to me) gravel roads here. I had a few non-epic gravely grinders at the old home (10-16 milers) and really enjoyed them (thanks in no small part to reading your words about doing it). Yes,it'd be really nice to have some,don't take 'em for granted,my friend.

Exhausted_Auk said...

Hey GT,
I think the operative word you used here is peaceful. I know that Iowa's black top roads are already quiet by most folks' standards, but gravel roads take it to a whole new level, possibly up to an 11.

BTW, England and Scotland are both part of the UK, which is itself in Europe (despite what many of its residents would like to believe!).