Friday, July 11, 2008

Guitar Ted Death Ride Invitational 2008: Update

It's about a week away now. The Guitar Ted Death Ride Invitational. Here's the latest skinny on what to expect and what is going down for this years edition.

Camping: First off, we are camping at Hickory Hills County Park. You can check out fees and camping registration rules here. I don't think we'll have any problems with getting a camping space since most folks don't tent camp here. There are showers available here, so you have an opportunity to get cleaned up afterwards. I'll plan on camping there on Friday night, so will a couple of other guys that I'm aware of.

Navigation: I'll be using cue sheets, and I'll print off a few extras, but since we're all sticking together, I don't see the need to print off a set for everyone. This will save resources too. I want at least two or three of us to have them though, in case we do get separated. Cue sheet sets will be with me at the start.

Ride Intent: I sometimes wish I hadn't chosen the name I did for this ride. It has been a source of confusion and misunderstanding from the outset. Some of you got it right away though, so I know that not everyone falls into this category. Here's the two things most commonly misconstrued concerning GTDRI.

#1 It's not a race, it's not a "group ride" (using that term to describe the competitive nature generally found on such rides), and it's not a training ride. Nope! It's not any of those things at all. It's something else altogether. So, if your expectations are that we are racing, competitive, or even going to go at it at a training pace, you are barking up the wrong tree.

#2: It's open to anyone not interested in racing or training. (In the strictest sense of those terms) It's open to anyone that just wants to go on a long ride that happens to be tough. You don't necessarily need an "invite", even though I've used the term in the name. It was done tongue in cheek. It's kind of a joke, okay. So please, if you are cool with long rides more for fun than anything else, check us out.

That said, you will get some good long, slow distance training out of this. It is just part of the game here. But know this: We will not leave anybody behind and therefore will be stopping at different intervals to allow folks to catch back on. This ride is more about fun. If that isn't your agenda, then maybe this ride isn't for you. Nuff said.

Okay, if you have any questions about the ride, feel free to hit my e-mail here. I hope to see some of you next weekend.

In the meantime, ride your bike and stay hydrated! It's hot out there!

No comments: