Monday, January 02, 2006

Damage Control

Holidays are over. How many of you are in "damage control" mode now? You know.........too many holiday treats, like Jeff's recent binge on Reese's Peanut Butter Cups. Or maybe you put down a few beers or other libations during the past couple of weeks. Whatever it was, usually now is the time that the regret/ reality sets in and you find yourself in the gym.

Now I do not go to a gym. I used to, though, and I can tell you that today, the gym population will increase..............by alot! I also can tell you that the attrition rate is very high. So high, that by mid February, or possibly before, the gym population will have returned back to normal levels. The level of self scarifice exhibited here is humbling. I'm not worthy! Ha!

I saw a question on the Trans Iowa thread on mtbr.com wondering how many of the competitors were starting their training today. I'm guessing that all the answers will be B.S., as most of these people will be gearing up to psyche-out the other roster mates while they themselves will be in double secret training mode! Maybe something like, " Yeah, I had to take it easy during the holidays because we had to visit the in-laws in Walla Walla. Lots of rain there now, ya know, so no training for me! I'll probably start on the trainer tonight." Yeah right! That means that this guy probably has been doing core workouts for the last month, rations his food to the gram, and has at least three eight hour training rides in already. Wouldn't want to tip off the competition! You know.....say you're not training, and maybe they won't get too amped about it quite yet. That way, you'll have the upper hand, baby! (Hey, you can thank me for the tip at Hawarden in April)

Mr. 24 was out on his own gravel grinder yesterday. Looked like fun! Me? I had church band, so I was busy. Hey, I'll get my own rides in, not to worry. I usually ride by myself anyway. Most of the time, that's how it works out, and I'm okay with that. I don't think I've been on a "group ride" since 2003. I don't think I'd know how to act! Looks like it might be awhile before I get anything long in again. The weather looks to make a return to winter at weeks end.

Working on Trans Iowa course details now, anyway. There is alot to "clean up". I think we've got a meet-up with the Decorah people this month too. Things will start getting busier on that front now again. Four months away! I can't wait!

No comments: