Monday, December 05, 2005

The Bouncing Bits: Suspension For Bicycles

Here we are. The off road bicycle of today is almost always equipped with some sort of suspension. Either a front "shock", or with some sort of damper on both ends. These suspension bits are there for our benefit, or so they say. What exactly is going on here? Is suspension always a good thing? Do you need a dual suspension bike? How do you properly adjust your suspension? And finally: What is platform damping? These are the sorts of things I would like to find out more about. In the next several posts, I will attempt to do just that!

I hinted in yesterdays post that I used to keep up with all the latest in suspension technology. It doesn't take long to get "left off the back", as it were, by the ever changing types of bicycle suspension designs and damping platforms. So, another question might be, "Do I really need to upgrade my older suspension bits?" I'll answer that as well. One other thing we will need to take care of is suspension terminology, so we all know what we are talking about. Hmm.......sounds like that should be the next post!

With that in mind, I'll leave you with this today. If you have any particular areas of interest concerning bicycle suspension that you would like to see me cover, please leave a comment, below.

No comments: