Friday, July 29, 2005

Stupid Question: A Ragbrai Moment

Although picking just one stupid ragbrai moment would seem at first to be an insurmountable task, I'm sure you'll all agree that this has to be at the top of the list!

Picture in your mind the quiet, bucolic Iowa countrside on a perfect late summer day. I and my mother, who was my riding partner for the day, decide to stop at a roadside food stand set up by a local Amish family. They have several different homebaked goods on offer. A few riders are milling around in the gravel driveway munching on their delicious treats. Meanwhile, five Amish men, and a few of their children look on in quiet amazement at the circus rolling by their farm.

Okay? Now, imagine a middle aged male rider doing the 30 questions routine with one of the young Amish men. Questions such as "What crops do you all raise?, What do you do for heat? You guys don't have electricity?", and on and on ad infinitum. This in itself was just mildly irritating, but the Amish man was pleasant and accomodating. Then, as I gazed at the rider asking questions thinking to myself, "Leave the dude alone, already!", I heard the craziest thing. "So, do you guys have to marry your cousins?", the rider says! I couldn't believe it! My immediate reaction was to blurt out loud, "That's it!! Get out the shotgun!" (Yes, I really said that!) However; the Amish fellow, to his immense credit, answered the man patiently. I still can't believe some people are so ignorant!

Oh, and by the way, the six cookies I got for a dollar were wonderful!

No comments: